Nisqually Drop--Tacoma to Nisqually River (brisk 16-18 mph; 62 mi; 2,800 ft)
If you are new, please read our newcomer information.
This is a fun ride south through Tacoma on side arterials, along Spanaway Lake, a few miles on Hwy 507 (STP route), then through the quiet of JBLM (well, it’s usually quiet.) We’ll see 3 different golf courses, views of the Puget Sound, and cool military stuff! We won’t need military ID as we won’t actually enter the base, but be on the reserve. Please don’t pick up any unexploded ordinance…
We leave from War Memorial Park by the Narrows Bridge in Tacoma (meet at the east end of the parking lot near the corner of Skyline Drive), ride the Scott Pierson trail towards downtown then head south to Spanaway, out Hwy 507 towards Roy, into JBLM at Eastgate, down to the Nisqually River, then back north via Dupont, Steilacoom, and University Place (along Chambers Bay Golf Course).
• Pace: Brisk (16-18 mph on the flats). Pace will probably be on the lower end of the range most of the time. Faster riders are welcome to climb at their own pace and we will regroup at the top of the hills. Please be prepared to ride the pace.
This is a longer ride, with most of the climbing in the last half of the route.
• Distance: 62 miles
• Terrain: 2,800 ft of elevation
• Regroup Policy: Top of hills and/or when the route might be confusing.
• Weather Cancellation policy: Steady rain cancels (or snow/ice). But it will need to be heavy, steady rain. The current forecast is for rain, so be prepared to ride in the rain. (Riteintherain.com)
• Please bring a cue sheet or load the route on GPS.
If it is wet or raining, long fenders (with buddy flaps) are highly encouraged. No one wants to ride in someone's rooster tail. If the roads are wet and your bike is not equipped with fenders, you will be asked to ride at the rear to prevent spraying others. Mechanicals are the responsibility of each rider, so we will generally not ask the entire group to wait. Please be sure you have the equipment and knowledge to change a flat and handle whatever else comes up. Group will wait at ride leader’s discretion.
Cue sheet: coming. Please go to the MeetUp site to download the cue sheet when it becomes available.