Urban Cycling Techniques
We've designed this class to help bike riders like you gain the knowledge and confidence to make informed traffic decisions and balance caution, assertiveness and skills necessary for safer urban riding. This course will teach you the skills necessary to interact safely and positively with urban traffic, including:
- traffic laws as they pertain to bicyclists
- proper helmet fit
- basic maintenance and overview of how to fix a flat
- practical riding skills, effective braking techniques, scanning, avoiding obstacles and signaling
- on-bike crash-avoidance techniques
We will practice on-road skills such as:
- lane positioning, communication with drivers and left-turn techniques
- group riding skills
- bike fit and nutrition as time allows
Class consists of a three-hour, lecture-only evening session and a second five-hour, on-the-bike session on the weekend with an optional half-hour League of American Bicyclists exam after the second session. Our "Via Bike" handbook, a reference for the skills learned in this course, is included.
Bring a bike in good working order and helmet, your lunch and be sure to wear weather appropriate clothing to second session.
Class size: min 5, max 12