Bike Month Challenge Presented by Adobe
Are you a team captain this year? To help you put together a winning strategy for the 2015 Bike Month Challenge Presented by Adobe, we've assembled a simple toolkit including a sample timeline and inspirational ideas.
Suggested to-do list:
- Register for the Bike Month Challenge Presented by Adobe and form your team starting Wednesday, April 1. Use the email templates below to recruit teammates and newbies.
- Check out the fantastic lineup of Bike Month events and mark your calendars. Don't miss the Captains Bash on Wednesday, April 29 or F5 Bike to Work Day on Wednesday, May 15!
- Spread the word! Download Bike Month graphics, brochures, and posters here and promote Bike Month at your workplace, on your website or in your neighborhood.
- Inspire your team and your community to ride using our DIY event toolkit.
This sample timeline will help you organize and inspire your team. You can find the full schedule of Bike Month events here.
- Encourage your business to promote Bike Month using Cascade's workplace toolkit.
- Register for the Group Health Bike Everywhere Breakfast and attend Thursday, May 7.
- Register for the Bike Month Challenge starting Wednesday, April 1.
- Recruit new captains and recruit teammates using the email templates below.
- Plan a few fun activities for Bike Month at your workplace or in your community. See our DIY event toolkit for simple, fun ideas!
- Ride your bike to work, school, the grocery store, or wherever your day takes you. Go anywhere by bike!
- Challenge another individual or team on the Bike Month Challenge website
- Join us for the Captains Bash at Pike Brewery on April 29th
- Join or create a League (or three) of your office, your industry or your neighborhood.
- Check in with infrequent riders. What's holding them back from riding more?
- Find a commute station on your route and ride with a friend on F5 Bike to Work Day, May 15
- Stage a special event at your workplace. Find simple fun event ideas here.
- Reward and recognize your teammates for a job well done in the Bike Month Challenge Presented by Adobe. Host a fun awards ceremony for your teammates, and ask Cascade for a participation certificate.
- Keep riding around town! Challenge yourself and sign up for one of Cascade's great summer riding events or a free group ride any day of the year.
- Join Cascade,
There are innumerable ways that you can build momentum for biking to work, among your team, your workplace and your community. Below are our favorite suggestions gleaned from outstanding team captains of yore:
Inspire your team
- Ask team members to set goals for themselves and set a goal for your team.
- Submit your team photo to email@example.com or share on social media. Tag @cascadebicycle and #UnlockYourCity
- Create a short team video and be entered into our prize drawing. Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Theme days (e.g. Lycra, business suits, super hero, etc.).
- Team feed: breakfast, lunch, or happy hour.
- Make sure new commuters have someone to ride with most days, but especially at the beginning of the month.
- Ride with each of your team members.
- Highs and Lows: ask your team to share their highs and lows of the day/week/month.
- Challenge another team at your company.
- Recruit and mentor new team captains.
- Ask your business to promote the Bike Month Challenge Presented by Adobe. Download graphics or request Bike Month posters here.
- Get your CEO to participate.
- Share your successes stories via our blog. Submit your stories to email@example.com.
- Get your kids involved with Bike to School Month activities.
Recruit new captains and encourage business support
Feel free to use the following templates to promote the Bike Month Challenge via email, online or newsletters.
Bike Month is coming up and I am captaining a team for Cascade Bicycle Club's Bike Month Challenge. The theme this year is "Unlock your City", and I'd like to encourage you to join the all-star cast of team captains.
As a team captain, you can significantly increase bicycle commuting at _________ (their worksite). Captains recruited over 2,400 brand new bike commuters last year. Think about how valuable bicycling is to you, and multiply that by 2,400...that's a lot of positive return for a modest investment of time on your behalf!
To start a team, you simply sign up online, recruit three to nine more coworkers to join you and encourage everyone to ride as much as possible throughout May. In fact, the hardest part may be coming up with a team name. (My team is ________________________.)
Cascade Bicycle Club offers up great support for captains, including a free T-shirt, free stuff to give your team, the legendary Captain's Bash at Pike Brewery on Wednesday, April 29 with free beverages for you and a guest, a comprehensive toolkit and prizes just for captains, including honors for Rookie Captain of the Year.
The challenge starts Friday, May 1–start your team today!
Captain ________(your name)
Dear __________ (title)
I would like to encourage ___________________(business) to participate in Cascade Bicycle Club's Bike Month Challenge presented by Adobe. Bicycle commuting makes great business sense. Bike commuters are healthier and more productive employees. Bicycle parking is a fraction of the cost and space of car parking. Bike commuting is especially valuable to me as an employee because _____________________.
The Bike Month Challenge is a simple turn-key program that has significantly increased bicycle commuting among both new and experienced riders. Last year, 22 percent of participants were brand new commuters. That's an impressive result.
What's more, it's very simple for businesses to participate. Team captains like me recruit and encourage riders. The riders track their own trips online. Cascade Bicycle Club provides a comprehensive business toolkit with email templates, newsletter blurbs, graphics and inspiration.
At the very least, I'd like to ask you to promote the Bike Month Challenge to all staff. Please check out the Bike Month website for information and resources.
Captain ________(your name)