Urban Cycling Techniques
Whether running errands, commuting to work, or getting exercise, urban cyclists of all sorts will appreciate this course designed to help them interact safely and positively with city traffic. Make informed decisions while striking the right balance between caution, assertiveness, and skill for safe urban riding.
Learn how to:
- Properly fit your bike and helmet
- Handle your bike confidently and effectively
- Position yourself on the road to avoid and deter the mistakes of other users
- Communicate effectively with other road users
- Apply emergency bike handling maneuvers to avoid a crash
- Apply traffic laws as they pertain to cyclists
- Choose the right gear for riding in variable conditions
- Understand dedicated bike infrastructure and when to use it
- Choose the best route to get you safely and efficiently to your destination
This class if for cyclists who ride in traffic regularly or those who want to start riding in traffic regularly. Along with an optional half-hour exam it is equivalent credit to the League of American Bicyclists’ Traffic Skills 101 course.
Class registration includes lifetime access to Cycling Savvy instructional videos. Prior to class, students are required to view roughly 2 hours of videos on the Cycling Savvy website.
Class consists of bike handling drills and applying our urban riding theory to real road situations by riding with instructors and class participants through our built environment. This will give you the opportunity to practice trail etiquette, intersection scenarios, lane positioning, and more.
This class is for adults. Students under 18 may be able to register for the class, but must have a parent or guardian attending the same class as a registered participant. Please contact us to discuss before registering your child.
Class Size: min 5, max 12
Price: members $80 non-members $85
Duration: 6 hours on bike + home study
Pre-requisites: basic bike riding skills and working familiarity with your bicycle
How to Prepare: Bring a bike in good working order and a CPSC approved helmet. Bring snacks, water and lunch and be sure to wear weather-appropriate clothing.
Location: Cascade Bicycle Club, 7787 62nd Ave. NE Seattle, WA 98115. We are located right off of the Burke Gilman Trail at Magnuson Park.
Bike Parking: Bike racks available outside the building as well as limited indoor space.