Urban Cycling Techniques
Course Title: Urban Cycling Techniques
We've designed this class to help bike riders like you gain the knowledge and confidence to make informed traffic decisions and balance caution, assertiveness and skills necessary for safer urban riding. This course will teach you the skills necessary to interact safely and positively with urban traffic. The course consists of a three-hour, lecture-only evening class and a second five-hour, on-bike class on the weekend with an optional half-hour League of American Bicyclists exam after the second session. Our "Via Bike" handbook, a reference for the skills learned in this course, is included.
- Improved understanding of traffic law and rules of the road
- Become skilled at more advanced bike handling skills
- Understand more advanced safe bicycling practices and how to apply them
- traffic laws as they pertain to bicyclists
- proper helmet fit
- how to give your bike a safety inspection
- practical riding skills, effective braking techniques, scanning, avoiding obstacles and signaling
- on-bike crash-avoidance techniques
- lane positioning, communication with drivers and left-turn techniques
- group riding skills
- bike fit and nutrition as time allows
Class Size: min 5, max 12
Price: members $75 non-members $80
Duration: 8 hours (one 3 hour indoor class and one 5 hour on-bike class)
Pre-requisites: basic bike riding skills and working familiarity with your bicycle
How to Prepare: Bring a bike in good working order and a CPSC approved helmet. Bring snacks, water and lunch and be sure to wear weather-appropriate clothing.
Helmets will be available on the day of class for $15 each.
Location: Cascade Bicycle Club, 7787 62nd Ave. NE Seattle, WA 98115. We are located right off of the Burke Gilman Trail at Magnuson Park.
Bike Parking: Bike racks available outside the building as well as limited indoor space.
Other classes you may be interested in: Chains and Derailleurs; Brakes, Wheels, and Tires; riding classes
Refund Policy: Refunds are only processed if the class is cancelled due to insufficient enrollment.