Major Taylor Project
Double your support of the Major Taylor Project!
MATCH CHALLENGE UPDATE: thanks to a group of generous donors, your donation will go twice as far! Once we raise $16,000 Cascade will receive a more-than-matching gift of $17,000. That's a total of $33,000 to keep these young riders pedaling!.
The Major Taylor Project
The Major Taylor Project (MTP) empowers youth from diverse communities through bicycling. In MTP after-school clubs, students establish healthy habits, build relationships, gain confidence and discover their ability to affect positive change.
And during summer months, many MTP students go further than they thought possible — testing their skills, experience and perseverance — by biking 206 miles from Seattle to Portland on the annual STP.
What we do
- Offer weekly bike rides after school so students can explore their community
- Deliver bicycle safety and maintenance education
- Provide opportunities to elevate youth voices and inspire students to advocate for change in their community
- Expose students to various cycling disciplines, including: urban riding, mountain biking and cyclocross racing
- Offer an eight-week Build-a-Bike program to increase ownership of bikes
- Provide training opportunities for students to prepare for Cascade events
Who we serve
The Major Taylor Project reaches more than 500 youth annually in middle and high schools in central and south King County and in Pierce County. In these areas, residents speak over 70 languages and represent over 80 nationalities. Our club locations are intentionally established to reach youth in low-income and diverse neighborhoods.
- Academy of Citizenship and Empowerment (ACE) High School, SeaTac, WA
- Cascade Middle School - White Center, WA
- Chief Sealth High School, Seattle, WA
- Cleveland High School - Seattle, WA
- Denny International Middle School, Seattle, WA
- First Creek Middle School - Tacoma, WA
- Foss High School - Tacoma, WA
- Foster High School, Tukwila, WA
- Franklin High School, Seattle, WA
- Tyee High School, Seatac, WA
- Highline High School, Burien, WA
- Jason Lee Middle School, Tacoma, WA
- Lincoln High School, Tacoma, WA
- Mt. Tahoma High School, Tacoma, WA
- Rainier Beach High School, Seattle, WA
- Stewart Middle School, Tacoma, WA
- YES! Foundation of White Center, White Center, WA
From the students
“MTP has changed my life by traveling to Portland — which was the longest bike ride I ever had — and now I ride my bike frequently. I love that MTP gives the opportunity to those who cannot afford a bike and gives them lots of memorable moments.” – Harpreet Singh, MTP student at Foster High School
“MTP shaped a community around me that otherwise wouldn't be there. MTP brings out the best in people, a student can have an absolute lousy day but still enjoy learning, riding and connecting to their surroundings with a smile on their face every time.” – Han Chen, MTP Franklin High School Alumni & MTP Ride Leader