Ride Leader Information
Becoming a Ride Leader
Ride leaders are the heart and soul of our Rides program. Our 200+ ride leaders keep the calendar filled throughout the year. If you have an idea for a new ride or don't see your favorite ride listed, consider joining our leaders' team.
Ride Leader Certification
Cascade members who want to be new ride leaders must attend a "ride leader certification" session, held at the office at least four times per year. See the club activity calendar for any scheduled training, or find it listed in the Cascade Courier. Contact the Ride Leader Certification Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for answers to other questions.
To become a Ride Leader Candidate you must:
- Be a Cascade Bicycle Member in good standing
- Have cycled a minimum of 5 Daily Rides (not Events)
- Be familiar with the Ride Leader Candidate Evaluation Form and understand what is expected
- Contact RL mentor and submit RL (if applicable) ahead of time to confirm that the ride is suitable for co-lead credit
- Discuss the ride details with RL mentor
- Day of Ride
- Arrive 20 minutes or more before the ride
- Bring and give the Evaluation Form to mentor before the ride
- Carry pen/pencil, incident form and witness form
- Be prepared with necessities to change own flat
- Circulate waiver, check legibility, count riders
- Check helmets and assist in adjusting if necessary
- Give ride introduction/safety briefing (Uses SMART)
- Be familiar with the route
- Lead at least a quarter of the ride effectively
- Sweep at least a quarter of the ride effectively
- Exhibit safe riding skills and follow the Rules of the Road
- Keep the advertised pace
- Interact with the riders in a friendly and professional manner
- Reflect positively on Cascade Bicycle Club
- Be prepared to handle any incidents/accidents safely
After reviewing the information from all sources the Ride Leader Candidate will be informed of certification or provided with recommendations for further training
The Cascade office maintains a library of route books and maps as well as maps and cue sheets from some Cascade rides. We also hope to be putting sample routes and maps online. Ride leaders can visit the library during weekdays (9-5pm).
Rides Awards and Incentives
Ride leaders are recognized for their essential services in an annual listing in the Courier, at the holiday volunteer party, and by awards and incentives which vary year to year. The current first award is a "ride leader" jersey. Ride leaders can pick up the jerseys after they have led 6 rides and promise to lead 6 more over the next year. Only 2 rides per month count toward the award tally. In addition to the awards, there is an Incentives Program (details available elsewhere to leaders) to encourage listing of rides. Ride leaders also meet quarterly for an all-expenses-paid dinner.
Rides committee meetings are held at the beginning of the month at the Cascade Office. Meetings are open to anyone. Contact the rides chair at email@example.com if you have a particular item that your would like to be placed on the meeting agenda.