Urban Cycling Techniques -- January 23, 25, 2014a
Thu. Jan 23, 2014 6:00pm to 9:00pm
Urban Cycling Techniques - Ride On
We’ve designed this class to help bicyclists gain the knowledge to make informed decisions while riding in traffic and the confidence to balance caution, assertiveness and the skills necessary for safer urban riding.
Recreational or transportational cyclists who want to learn to interact positively and safely with urban traffic will learn:
- traffic laws as they pertain to bicyclists
- proper helmet fit
- basic maintenance and overview of how to fix a flat
- practical riding skills, effective braking techniques, scanning, avoiding obstacles and signaling
- on-bike crash-avoidance techniques
We will practice on-road skills such as:
- lane positioning, communication with drivers and left-turn techniques
- group riding skills
- bike fit and nutrition as time allows
First session is presentation only -- no bike required.
Second session is on-bike
Optional half-hour League of American Bicyclists exam afterwards. Our “Via Bike” handbook, a reference for the skills learned in this course, is included.
Bring working bike and helmet to second session. Bring your lunch and be sure to wear weather appropriate clothing.
Class size: min 5, max 12
Members $75 Non-members $80
REFUND POLICY: No refunds unless class is cancelled due to lack of enrollment.
Contact the Classes Coordinator with questions.